Why Presidency Ordered Probe Of Daura, Oke, Ekpenyong

Why Presidency Ordered Probe Of Daura, Oke, Ekpenyong

The Presidency has ordered proper investigation into how the huge cash said to have been released to security agencies in the country for the 2015 Presidential election was managed.

As a result, three former security heads, who held strategic positions in the country, are to face questioning by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to determine their involvement or otherwise in expenditure of the cash.

Among those slated for probe are the immediate past Director-General of the DSS, Lawal Daura; his predecessor, Ita Ekpenyong, and former Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, NIA, Ayo Oke. The order to subject the former security heads to scrutiny followed two days of extensive meeting between Nigeria’s Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo, and the Acting Director General of the DSS, Matthew Seiyefa, and that of the EFCC, Ibrahim Magu.

It was learnt that the opening of investigation into the roles played by the dismissed security head followed Tuesday’s sack of Lawal Daura, who had last November blocked EFCC operatives from gaining access into the Abuja homes of Ekpenyong and Oke for search.

Daura had argued at that time that security expenditure could not be subject of any investigation by the EFCC and that doing so would expose the security agencies to ridicule.

Emboldened by that argument, Daura prevented EFCC operatives who had taken vantage positions in the premises of the two men in Asokoro from entering their homes and searching them.

EFCC had broken into an apartment at Ikoyi, linked to Oke’s wife .

The Acting President, had ordered investigation into the huge cash spent after the 2015 elections.

He is also reported to have ordered Seiyefa and Magu to work together and retrieve the cash from whoever was found to have dipped their hands into the till.

As a first step towards unravelling whereabouts of the cash, EFCC operatives, Thursday, swooped on the Abuja home of Ekpenyong on 46, Mamman Nasir Street in Asokoro and searched it for over two hours. Operatives numbering about 20, who went there in three buses, did not recover any cash or serious documents to aid them in their work.

That notwithstanding, the officers asked Ekpenyong to follow them to their headquarters in Jabi at exactly 3: 20 pm.

But as a mark of respect for the top spy, the heavily armed EFCC operatives allowed him to ride in his own car, while they followed him in their vehicles.

EFCC spokesman, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, confirmed that the operatives had gone to Ekpenyong’s house to ‘complete the assignment’ they were prevented from carrying out in November last year.

“He has been cooperating with our operatives and we will do our work the way we should do it. We just want him to shed more light on some funds and other issues,” the spokesman said but did not give further details.

0 Comments

Leave a Comment

Login

Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password