Four Nigerians Arrested In India Over Drug Trafficking
Four Nigerian nationals have been arrested in India over alleged involvement in a drug trafficking network, with narcotics worth approximately ₹15 crore (₦ 2.1 bn) recovered during a series of operations.
The Hindu reported on Wednesday that the arrests followed coordinated operations by the Narcotics Control Bureau, state police and other security agencies targeting foreign nationals allegedly involved in drug trafficking and overstaying their visas in India.
The investigation began on July 18 after intelligence from the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force led NCB operatives and police to Khanpur, Delhi.
The agency said, “The operation resulted in the seizure of over 5 kg of amphetamine and the arrest of a Nigerian national, Obase Prosper Ogboronjor.”
The NCB said Ogboronjor was also wanted by the Uttar Pradesh STF in connection with an alleged cyber-fraud case involving approximately ₹68 lakh.
It said, “The accused was also wanted by the STF in a major cyber-fraud case involving approximately ₹68 lakh,” adding that he had been “overstaying in India despite the expiration of his medical visa in June 2023.”
A follow-up operation on July 21 led investigators to Hans Enclave in Gurugram, where another Nigerian, Abuchi George Okorie, was arrested.
According to the NCB, “a follow-up action led to the seizure of 9.7 kg of amphetamine and 67.84 kg of pseudoephedrine from Hans Enclave in Gurugram, as well as the arrest of another Nigerian national, Abuchi George Okorie.”
The agency said the substance was of particular concern because “pseudoephedrine, a controlled substance, is used in the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine.”
Okorie, according to the NCB, entered India on a medical attendant visa that was valid until June 2015 but allegedly remained in the country after it expired.
Further investigations took officers to a property in Mehrauli, Delhi, on August 3, where more narcotics were recovered.
The NCB said, “Based on the findings, the agency zeroed in on a premises in Mehrauli, Delhi, from which 318 grams of cocaine and 6 grams of heroin were seized on August 3.”
Two Nigerian nationals, Uchenna Stephen Nwanko and Chikezie Joshua Igwe, were arrested during the operation. The agency alleged that the pair had “been living illegally for over 13 years.”
An African woman whose identity was yet to be established also sustained injuries while allegedly attempting to flee from the premises.
The NCB said, “During this operation, one African woman, whose identity is being established, attempted to escape by jumping from the balcony, injuring herself. She is currently receiving treatment.”
Following the arrests, the agency urged hotels, guest houses and landlords to comply with regulations governing foreign nationals staying in India.
The NCB said, “Hotels, guest houses, landlords and other accommodation providers are required to comply with the legal provisions governing the accommodation of foreign nationals, including timely furnishing of prescribed information regarding their stay to the concerned authorities, as per the Immigration and Foreigners Act, 2025.”
The agency also announced a nationwide operation to tackle illegal overstaying and suspected drug trafficking involving foreign nationals.
It said, “To address the issue in a coordinated manner, the NCB, in association with the State police and immigration authorities, will launch a fortnight-long nationwide campaign, ‘Trinetra’, in the first week of September 2026 to identify such illegally overstaying foreign nationals suspected to be involved in drug trafficking.”










